News

Published: 16 May 2017

The Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union has labeled the shock announcement today by Carter Holt Harvey that it would close its Morwell softwood mill within three months and make 160 workers redundant as “an act of bastardry”.

The company announced the closure and redundancies to staff today with no prior consultation with the union, as is their legal obligation.

The union is seeking urgent talks with the company.

“This is an act of bastardry,” CFMEU National Secretary Michael O’Connor said.



Published: 2 May 2017

Six thousand jobs in the Latrobe Valley remain on the line despite the Australian Government putting anti-dumping tariffs on Indonesian paper imports last week. 

It was reported this week that the Indonesian Government is threatening to terminate Trade Agreement negotiations if the tariff decision is not reversed. 

The CFMEU, who represents workers at Australian Paper - the largest employer in the region - has written to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull urging him not to cave in to Indonesia’s threats. 



Published: 1 May 2017

On Wednesday April 5th 2017 members walked off the job for 24 hours in their fight for better pay, conditions and consultation.

This follows a series of 4 hour stoppages.
 
ITI is one of Australia's largest timber distributors and have refused to offer more than a 1% pay increase per year. 



Published: 27 Apr 2017

By Jodie Bruton The Border Mail

MORE than 200 timber mill workers remain locked out of Carter Holt Harvey at Myrtleford as industrial action entered its second week on Wednesday.

Workers gave notice of rolling stoppages and overtime bans from April 19 before the company responded with a lockout.

Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) assistant district secretary Andrew Vendramini said about 207 workers – including casual staff – were affected by the industrial action.



Published: 12 Apr 2017

A mass meeting this week of Tasmanian timber workers from sawmilling, processing, pulp and paper and the retail sector of the industry voted to campaign against the Governments proposed Forestry Bill.

Scott McLean, Tasmania District Secretary of the CFMEU FFPD (pictured), said that



Published: 12 Apr 2017

The CFMEU welcomes SA Premier Jay Weatherill’s announcement that there will be a Coroner’s Inquiry into the workplace death of construction worker Jorge Castillo-Riffo, and an inquiry into the lack of prosecutions over workplace deaths launched by SafeWork SA against employers.

The announcement came at a CFMEU-led rally on the steps of parliament today. Hundreds of construction workers gathered to call on Premier Weatherill and the government to launch a Coroner’s Inquiry into Jorge’s death.



Published: 6 Apr 2017

Jorge Castillo-Riffo died on the morning of November 27 2014. He had been working on the RAH construction site, and was discovered in a scissor lift, crushed against a ledge. His partner Pam’s last words to him as he left for work that morning were “be careful on the scissor lift.”

Now, 28 months later, SafeWork SA have dropped prosecutions against both SRG and HYLC with barely a word of explanation.



Published: 28 Mar 2017

Malcolm Turnbull's new building laws will make it harder for our kids to get apprenticeships and mean more 457 visa workers on our construction sites.

But it's not over yet. This week Rebekha Sharkie will have a chance to stop these unfair laws. 

Can you call Rebekha Sharkie on (08) 8398 5566 and tell her to stop these bad laws!

Watch the new TV Campaign below:



Published: 24 Mar 2017

Last Friday after the close of business the Anti-Dumping Commission quietly announced the Government was terminating anti-dumping import duties which had been levied against one of South-East Asia’s largest paper mills since November last year.

The termination of the tariffs on the Asia Pulp and Paper owned Indonesian mill (Tjiwi Kimi) came following weeks of Indonesian Government pressure linked to talks about a bilateral free trade agreement.



Published: 24 Mar 2017

CFMEU members, their families and community should be proud of the massive show of force at the rally for the mill in Melbourne on Tuesday.

Over a thousand people rallied in the city sending a powerful message to the Andrews government that we will not cop the loss of resource and we will fight and fight long and hard to save these 
jobs.

The rally met at the Victorian Trades Hall and closed down parts of the city during the march to Parliament.



Home

Authorised by Michael O'Connor, National Secretary,165 Bouverie Street Carlton 3053