Frequently Asked Questions

I'm looking for an RDO calendar?

All of our RDO calendars are online. You can save them to your device's calendar, download and print them. You can find them here. If you still have questions about your RDO's contact us

Does the employer have the right to attend a medical appointment with a worker?

The short answer is NO.

Unions are becoming increasingly concerned with what we see as the growing trend of employers subjecting employees to intrusive and discriminatory behaviours, including:

  • Employers or their representatives attending medical appointments with workers
  • Injured workers being subject to constant medical assessments even after their doctor has cleared them to return to work
  • Growth of Doctor Networks, funded by employers, and concerns that these are providing substandard care and sending injured workers back to work too soon
  • Employers seeking access to ALL of a worker's health information rather than that directly linked to a workplace injury
  • Employers inappropriately sharing medical information with third parties, such as insurers and superannuation funds.

This concern has been raised by the ACTU and is shared by both the Australian Medical Association and the Fair Work Ombudsman.

Specifically with regard to reports of employers attempting to attend medical appointments with employees, the Fair Work Ombudsman has said it 'does not condone or support this behaviour and sees no reason why an employer should seek to attend a private and confidential appointment with an employee, unless specifically requested to do so by the employee.' In a Media Release at the time, the Fair Work Ombudsman said: "The laws around sick leave and personal leave are quite simple. While an employer may request evidence that would substantiate the reason for an employee's entitlement to personal/carer leave, a medical certificate or statutory declaration is generally considered an acceptable form of evidence."

The current advice on the Fair Work Ombudsman's website is:

Employers attending medical appointments

We don't consider it reasonable for an employer to go to a medical appointment with an employee unless an employee requests this.

We also don't consider it reasonable for an employer to contact the employee's doctor for further information.

If your employer tries to pressure you in this way, contact your union on 1800 060 556 or email [email protected]

How can I get a collective agreement at my workplace?

Workplaces with full union membership are in a very strong bargaining position, so it's no accident that these workplaces are on the best deals. So the best way to get a good agreement for your workplace is to sign up your workmates! If you want a Union collective agreement at your workplace contact your Organiser on Freecall: 1800 060 556 or email [email protected]

How can I get more involved in my Union?

Get in touch with the CFMEU Delegate at your workplace. If you are unsure who your Delegate is or you do not have a Delegate, contact the Union on Freecall 1800 060 556 or email [email protected]

How can I join the Union?

You can join the Union at or you can speak to the CFMEU Manufacturing Division delegate at your workplace. If your workplace does not have a Union delegate or shop steward contact the Union: Freecall: 1800 060 556 or email [email protected]

I am a student and I need information and resources for my school projects ??? where can I find them

The ACTU's Worksite for Schools website is full of resources for students. Visit

I have questions about my pay rate, what should I do?

Contact your Union delegate, or get in touch with your Union organiser - call us on 1800 060 556 or email [email protected]

Should my employer give provide me with payslips?

Employees are entitled to a pay slip which should show: the name of the employee, the date of payment, your classification, the award or agreement you are paid under, the period for which the payment is made, the hours worked, any deductions (tax, union fees etc) and superannuation contributions by your employer.

What do I do if I have an issue or problem at my workplace?

If you are a union member, speak to your CFMEU Manufacturing Division Workplace delegate or contact your CFMEU Manufacturing Division Organiser for assistance. If you are not a union member and you work in one of the industries that we cover, you can join the Union at